We thought you might like to sample one of the recipes from Food to Some, Poison to Others!
Spinach Chicken Breasts
(Egg-free, Corn-free, Gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 package spinach, fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tablespoons fennel, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 to 3 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (imported/goat)
- 1 cup hot chicken stock or chicken broth
Clean and dry chicken breasts. Pound chicken until 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Dip each breast into flour mixture, and brown in a large skillet in hot oil. Remove chicken and set aside on warm platter. Reduce heat. Add shallots and fennel, saute until tender. Wash and clean spinach. Chop spinach and add to shallots in skillet. Add rest of the ingredients: dill, fennel, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Place chicken breasts in 13 by 9 baking dish, and spoon spinach mixture over breasts. Place Feta cheese on top of spinach mixture, and pour hot chicken stock or broth over all. Place in a 375 degree oven and bake until Feta is softened, about 40 minutes.
I tested this recipe last night and would like to add the following notes:
- I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, and I used double the amount. This worked out fine without also having to double the flour.
- I couldn't find sorghum flour at my local health food store so I substituted (also gluten-free) rice flour. No problemo!
- It's unclear if the recipe calls for fennel bulb or fronds, but either will work.
- If you have multiple food allergies be sure to check the ingredients list on prepared chicken stock.
- I prefer to do all the prep work -- washing, chopping -- before I start cooking anything.
- Plan ahead for this one: it took me an hour just to prepare all the ingredients for baking.
Enjoy! This is a tasty one.